- Sixteen interns, matching the record high set in 2002, were present for the 2003 Ministry Summer Service orientation in Richmond, Ind. The annual program, sponsored by the General Board's Youth/Young Adult and Ministry offices, allows young adults to consider ministry options by placing them in ministry settings with a mentor for the summer.
- The National Youth Cabinet declared a denomination-wide Youth Day of Prayer for Sept. 28, asking youth across the Church of the Brethren to join together in prayer in creative ways. Earlier, on March 7, Brethren gathered at three denominational sites for special prayer services held in conjunction with the World Day of Prayer. Both initiatives, along with some activities at Annual Conference, came in response to the "Call to Prayer" query passed by the 2002 Conference.
- The 2003 youth/young adult workcamp season ended in mid-August after more than 500 youth, youth advisors, and young adults participated in 26 workcamps across the US, in the Caribbean, and in Northern Ireland and Ecuador.
- The 2003 Youth Peace Travel Team of Laura Sweitzer, Erica Schatz, and Mandy Wampler traveled to Church of the Brethren camps in the Midwest and to Annual Conference, the 13th year a team has been sent out to do peace education.
- Other groups met for a youth ministry workshop in New Windsor, Md., led by Mark DeVries; an annual Young Adult Conference held at Camp Eder in Fairfield, Pa.; a youth Christian Citizenship Seminar in New York and Washington, D.C., focusing on globalization issues; and an "Organizing for Peace" event in Richmond, Ind.
Friday, January 02, 2004
Following are highlights of some stories from 2003
at 6:00 PM